Devotional by Matt Wyka | Song by Jeff Deyo
When Jeff wrote this song, he focused on making sure we bless God for ALL that He is, not just PART of what He is. Sometimes we tend to narrow the way we praise or bless God. The truth is, we do not have enough time in a day, year, or lifetime to truly bless God to the extent He deserves it. However, this song can be an encouragement and reminder to us that we need to consistently bless God for all that He is.
In today’s society, the world is always wanting to know, what can you do for me? Sometimes we could even contend this mentality has bled into the way we see God and the way we treat Him. The problem with this is we can (in Jeff’s words) end up looking for God to bless us far more than we are expected to bless Him.
But how do we realign our love of God into blessing Him for ALL He is and ALL He has done? Here are a few thoughts:
- Maintaining an “Attitude of Gratitude” will lead us to remembering to constantly bless God and honor Him. If we live our lives realizing that every good thing comes from above, (James 1:17) it is a lot easier for us to remember to thank Him and bless His name!
- Remembering that God is not only the guy who blesses us, but He is also the creator of the world, the King of Heaven, the one who is to be feared and praised. Hebrews 12:28 reminds us that, “since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire.”
- If we see God as He truly is, not as we desire to see Him or the way our society deems fit, we can expect to find praising and blessing the Lord to be natural and actually very enjoyable.
Reflect on the words of words of David: “I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together!” (Psalm 34:1-3)
Questions for discussion and observation:
- When is it truly easy and natural to praise God for everything?
- When is it very hard and difficult to find yourself blessing the Lord in all circumstances?
- What can we do to put our focus on blessing God instead of worrying about Him blessing us?
- What are some of the things God has done in your life that have gone unnoticed?
What it all comes down to is this: we serve and follow a triune God who deserves all the glory, all the praise, all the blessing, and all of our love. May God strengthen you, condition your heart to be near to His.
(Chorus) I will worship You | I will bless Your name forever | I will worship You | Bless the Lord, oh my soul bless the Lord
(Verse1) For Your beauty | for Your goodness | and Your wisdom awesome God | Praise the Lord oh my soul praise the Lord | For Your power | for Your honor | and Your splendor mighty God | Praise the Lord oh my soul praise the Lord
(Verse2) For Your kindness | for Your favor | and You mercy gracious One | Thank the Lord oh my soul thank the Lord | For Your fire | for You testing | and Your Spirit holy One | Thank the Lord oh my soul thank the Lord
(Verse3) For Your suffering | for Your anguish | and Your sorrow humble King | Bless the Lord oh my soul bless the Lord
(Verse4) For Your victory | for Your triumph | and Your soon coming reign over all